Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mysteries to Die For to Close

After 19 years in business, Mysteries to Die For in Thousand Oaks, CA will close this Saturday. Alan Chisholm, who has owned the small bookshop since 2008, told the Ventura County Star that customer responses to news of the impending closure "really took me by surprise. This store stirs up a lot of feelings because this is where they go to meet their need."

He cited the financial toll of dwindling sales and the cost of necessary improvements among factors leading to his decision. "I always said I'd do this as long as I don't lose money," he said. "I don't know how to keep it going."

Posted on the Mysteries to Die For Bookstore website:

Mysteries to Die For is closing after a long and wonderful run of nineteen years. 

Thanks to all of you who have graced the store with your attendance and all of those special mail order customers who have supported the store over the years. 

We are humbled and appreciative of the countless e-mails, phone calls, and letters we have received in response to the news. 

The last day of business will be Saturday, July 28. 

Good-bye and Good Luck to all of you.

1 comment:

vallerose said...

A bookstore closing is always a sad event. I went to this store a year ago when visiting a friend in LA. a pleasant, homey store.

As a dedicated non- e-booker I do my best, but, obviously cannot support every store.